Vaccines for Incoming Students require an appointment - call (858) 534-8089
Vaccines available on a walk-in basis in Nurses Clinic
- Chicken Pox (Varicella) - series of 2 injections: day 0 and 4-8 weeks later.
- Hepatitis A for travel/precaution against food- or water-borne hepatitis - series of 2 injections: day 0 and 6-12 months later.
- Hepatitis B for protection against blood/body fluid-borne hepatitis - series of 3 injections: day 0, 1-2 months, and 4-6 months.
- Hep A & B Combined (Twinrix) - series of 3 injections: day 0, 1 month and 6 months.
Influenza - yearly, seasonal.
- Meningococcal MCV4 Vaccine - one injection on or after the 16th birthday
- Measles, Mumps; Rubella Vaccine - should be given twice since first birthday.
- Polio Vaccine - usually for travel to high risk areas.
- Pneumococcal Vaccine - one dose for smokers and people with certain chronic health conditions; one additional dose for all adults over 65 years of age.
- Tetanus, Diphtheria - initially 3 doses in childhood, then every 10 years is recommended.
- Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis (Tdap/Whooping Cough) - a one time booster is recommended for adolescents and adults.
- Varicella - two doses at least 28 days apart.
Vaccines requiring an appointment - call SHS Travel Clinic (858) 534-2918
- HPV for protection against high-risk strains of HPV associated with cancer of the cervix - series of 3 injections: 0, 2, and 6 months.
- Japanese Encephalitis - series of 2 injections: 28 days apart (requires Travel Clinic appt)
- Meningococcal-B - series of 3 injections (only for special circumstances and requires a physician appointment)
- Rabies - series of 3 injections: day 0, day 7 and day 21 or 28 (requires Travel Clinic appt)
- Yellow Fever - booster every 10 years if in high risk areas. Must be completed at least 10 days prior to travel to risk areas. (requires Travel Clinic appt)
- Typhoid - injectable or oral (requires Travel Clinic appt)
Nurses Clinic and vaccines are free for registered students with UC SHIP. Eligible fee-for-service patients will be charged a Nurse's Clinic visit fee in addition to the cost of vaccines. Refer to the
Cost of Services page for all pricing.
Immunizations at CVS Pharmacies
Students with SHIP are eligible to receive immunizations at CVS Pharmacies (not in the CVS Minute Clinic setting). The charges for immunizations will be billed to Anthem and paid at 100%. Bring your insurance card, no referral is required.
The Invisible Threat - a critically acclaimed documentary that explores the science of vaccination and why fears and misperceptions have lead parents to delay or decline vaccines.
Immunization Action Coalition - updated immunization information.