The Tanita Body Composition Analyzer, through bioelectrical impedance, calculates a person's percentage of body fat. High body fat percentage is directly correlated with increased risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. This is NOT recommended for individuals who have a pacemaker or who may be pregnant.
To improve the accuracy of the analysis, proper protocol must be followed. Please schedule a time when you can adhere to the following recommendations:
- No alcohol 48 hours before the analysis.
- Avoid intense exercise 12 hours before the analysis.
- Avoid eating or drinking (especially caffeine) 4 hours before the analysis.
- Empty your bladder 30 minutes before the analysis.
- Avoid all diuretic medications for 7 days before the analysis (only if possible).
- Schedule the analysis at least 3 hours after waking.
- Pre-menstrual women may retain fluid, which can affect the outcome of the analysis.
The Body Composition Analysis is conducted by a trained peer health educator and requires you to stand barefoot (in light clothing) on a scale. This a 15-20 minute appointment.
You will receive a computer generated analysis with the following information: body weight, body mass index (BMI), percentage of body fat, calculated basal metabolic rate (BMR), fat mass, fat-free mass, and total body water.
NOTE: Registered UCSD students receive one FREE body comp per academic quarter.
You can make an appointment with the
Registered Dietitian for any follow-up concerns you may have by calling (858) 822-5926.
Schedule an Appointment
Appointments for Body Composition Analysis at Student Health Services during academic quarters are available on the following days and times:
- Tuesdays at 11:00am, or 11:30am
- Wednesdays at 10:00am, or 10:30am (none on 11/22)
- Thursdays at 2:00pm, or 2:30pm (none on 11/23)
- Fridays at 9:00am, or 9:30am (none on 11/10, 11/24)
E-mail the following information to
firstname.lastname@example.org to make your appointment (use the subject line "Secure: Body Composition Analysis"; you will be contacted with a confirmation):
- Student PID number
- Preferred appointment dates and times (please indicate several choices)
Body Composition Analysis at The Zone (in Price Center Plaza) is available on a walk-in basis on:
- Wednesdays from 11:00am - 11:50am (Weeks 3- 10).