Your participation in the 2018 Summer Success Program at UCSD qualifies you for some great health care benefits. First, you have access to Student Health Services (SHS) and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) through a program called SHS/CAPS Summer Access. SHS and CAPS provide primary care and brief mental health services at no cost or for a small fee per service, depending on the service provided.
You are also eligible for insurance coverage through the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP). UC SHIP includes benefits for emergency care, primary and specialty care, and many other important health care needs. UC SHIP also includes dental and vision coverage.
What programs are included? What are the start/end dates?
For students in the following programs||
SHS/CAPS Summer Access begins/ends|
- Academy in the Arts and Humanities
- Triton Freshman Scholars
|July 2 - September 21|
- Summer Bridge
- Summer Engineering Institute
- Triton Edge
|August 6 - September 21|
Note: SHS/CAPS Summer Access end date may differ from your actual Summer Success Program end date. Programs and start/end dates are subject to change.
What services are included in the 2018 Summer Access Program?
Student Health Services (SHS)
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Brief psychotherapy and psychiatry services at
CAPS – NO COST
- Urgent Care at CAPS – NO COST
What is NOT included in the 2018 Summer Access Program?
Although the following services are not included in this program, students may still receive these services at SHS, however the student is responsible for all charges.
- Laboratory tests drawn at SHS and sent to an outside lab provider
- Special or elective procedures and tests
- Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications
- Immunizations, supplies and optometry services
- Routine health clearances and administrative exams
- Services obtained outside of SHS or CAPS
- Services not listed under "What is included"
Important Details about the SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program
- SHS/CAPS Summer Access IS
- If you require additional services that are not available at SHS or CAPS, a referral to a community provider may be provided.
- UCSD Summer Access Program does not include SHS or CAPS services at other UC campuses.
- You may obtain an itemized statement of SHS charges to file a claim with your private insurance. Click on "Billing" under Online Services on the
SHS web page.