Flu season is upon us, and San Diego County has seen an upsurge in the number of patients. Read more about what you can do.
What do I do if I get sick? https://wellness.ucsd.edu/studenthealth/resources/health-topics/Pages/cold-flu.aspx
- Stay at home or in your room until at least 24hrs after the fever has stopped. You are contagious while you are having a fever.
- If you need advice, call Student Health at
858-534-3300 to speak to a nurse OR go to our home page under "Online Services" and click on "Your Secure Messages" to send a direct message to the Advice Nurse. We recommend that you do this first before coming into Student Health, as coming in could unnecessarily expose others to your illness.
- ANTIBIOTICS are not effective for influenza as it is a virus.
- Flu lasts for 7-10 days, and the cough can last longer.
- Rest and drink plenty of fluids including water, broth and Gatorade.
- Take Tylenol or ibuprofen for fever and aches.
- Come in to Student Health if you have signs or symptoms of a serious illness (a fever lasting longer than 3-4 days, difficulty breathing, rash, severe headache, dehydration) or have a high risk condition (asthma, diabetes, immunosuppression or other chronic condition). Otherwise you are best off staying at home or in your room.
- If you miss classes due to illness, please read our policy on Medical Excuses:
Is it the flu?http://www.cdc.gov/flu/consumer/symptoms.htm
- Flu comes on suddenly and you will usually have fever, body aches and a headache.
- Chest discomfort and a cough are common and can be severe.
- There is sometimes accompanying sneezing, stuffy nose and a sore throat.
- It lasts for 7-10 days, and the cough can last longer.
- Frequent handwashing with soap & water OR alcohol hand wash.
- Ensure adequate sleep/hydration/exercise/nutrition.
Where to obtain flu vaccine?
Flu Clinics will be held at the following locations (all walk-in, no appointment needed).
All Flu Clinics will also provide Tdap Vaccine for students who need to complete their incoming immunization requirements.
Flu vaccine : $0 with SHIP; $25.00 with RAFT or other insurance
Tdap vaccine: $0 with SHIP; $40.00 with RAFT or other insurance
Location: the Zone, PC Plaza (next to Jamba Juice) 11:00-4:00pm
Flu Vaccine in the Community - Check this link for availability.
How do I know if I have the flu?
Find out if what you have is a
cold or the flu.
How can I avoid getting the flu?
- Get the flu vaccine.
Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after a sneeze or cough. Use alcohol-based hand cleansers if soap and water is not available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Frequently wipe down areas, doorknobs, and phones used by multiple people with a disinfectant (Clorox wipes work well)
- Get adequate sleep and exercise, eat healthy meals, and try to reduce stress
- Avoid contact with others you know to be ill. If you must be near others who are ill, keep at least 6 feet distance
Learn more about the flu here: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm