This information pertains to the Summer Success Undergraduate Programs: Arts & Humanities (PATH), Triton Freshman Scholars, Summer Bridge, and Summer Engineering Institute only.
Your participation in the 2019 Summer Success Programs at UCSD qualifies you for some great health care benefits. First, you have access to Student Health Services (SHS) and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) through a program called SHS/CAPS Summer Access. SHS and CAPS provide primary care and brief mental health services at no cost or for a small fee per service, depending on the service.
You are also eligible for insurance coverage through the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP). UC SHIP includes benefits for emergency care, preventative care, primary and specialty care, and many other important health care needs. UC SHIP also includes dental and vision coverage.
What is the cost?
There is no cost to you for the SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program. However, if you use any services at SHS or CAPS, you may be responsible for the cost of those services. A one-time access fee of $30 will be posted to your account to be enrolled in this program. Please do not pay this, as your program will cover it for Summer 2019. Any additional fees incurred as a result of a visit to SHS or CAPS will be your responsibility.
The cost for UC SHIP for 2019 Summer Success:
- Starting 7/1/19 through 9/22/19 - $452.76
- Starting 8/5/19 through 9/22/19 - $273.91
You are responsible for the cost of this insurance unless you opt out of the coverage because you have other insurance. Refer to the EARLY START UCSHIP section below.
What services are included with the SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program?
At Student Health Services:
- Scheduled appointments at SHS for care of illness or injury – NO COST
- "In-house" laboratory tests at SHS for care of illness or injury (i.e., tests not sent to an outside laboratory) – refer to SHS website for list of included lab tests – NO COST
- X-ray services at SHS for care of illness or injury – ONLY $20 EACH X-RAY
- Access to SHS Urgent Care – ONLY $20 PER VISIT
- Brief psychotherapy and psychiatry services at CAPS – NO COST
- Urgent Care – NO COST
What services are NOT included with SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program?
Although the following services are not included in this program, students may still receive these services at SHS however, the student is responsible for all charges.
- Laboratory tests drawn at SHS but sent to an outside lab provider
- Special or elective procedures and tests
- Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications
- Immunizations, supplies and optometry services
- Routine health clearances and administrative exams
- Services obtained outside of SHS or CAPS
- Services not listed under "What is included"
Important Details about SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program
- SHS/CAPS Summer Access IS NOT health insurance.
- If you require additional services that are not available at SHS/CAPS, a referral to a community provider may be provided.
- UCSD Summer Access does not include SHS/CAPS services at other UC campuses.
- You may obtain an itemized statement of SHS charges to file a claim with your own private insurance.
When does the 2019 Summer Access Program begin?
- 7/1/19 for PATH and Triton Freshman Scholars
- 8/5/19 for Summer Bridge and Summer Engineering Institute
For more information please review the forms and information at the top right column of this page.