The UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) offers voluntary coverage for eligible dependents of students enrolled in the plan. Students have the option to enroll their dependents for Medical coverage only, or for Medical and Dental coverage.
Enrollment in the dependent plan is managed by USI Insurance Services (on behalf of Anthem Blue Cross). All payments for the dependent premiums must be submitted directly to USI Insurance Services. Student Health Services does not manage the enrollment or collect payments for the dependent plan. For dependent plan enrollment questions, enrollment timeframes, and to enroll in the plan, please contact USI Customer Service at (800) 853-5899.
Access to Student Health Services is only available to registered students. Dependents are not eligible to use Student Health Services and therefore are not subject to the referral requirements included on the student plan. Dependents may self refer to any Anthem Blue Cross PPO provider to receive benefits for eligible services. Please see Benefit Information below for details.
Students who are enrolled in UC SHIP have the option to enroll the following eligible dependents in the plan:
- Spouse: legally married spouse of the student
- Same-sex domestic partner
- Child: the student's unmarried child
- Natural child: under the age of 23
- Stepchild: a stepchild under the age of 23 is a dependent on the date the student marries the child's parent
- Adopted child: under the age of 23, including a child placed with the student for the purpose of adoption, from the moment of placement as certified by the agency making the placement
- Foster child: a foster child under the age of 18 is a dependent from the moment of placement with the student as certified by the agency making the placement
NOTE: If both student parents are covered under UC SHIP, their children may be covered as the dependents of either student, but not both.
For dependent plan enrollment questions, please contact USI Insurance Services Customer Service at 1 (800) 853-5899.
|Term||Coverage Period||Enrollment Deadline|
|2018 Early Start ||Coverage dates vary by program||Varies depending on Coverage Period|
|Fall 2018||9/24/2018 through 1/1/2019||10/25/2018|
|Winter 2019||1/2/2019 through 3/26/2019||2/1/2019|
|Spring 2019||3/27/2019 through 9/22/2019||4/26/2019|
* New incoming students eligible for Early Start coverage may enroll their dependents with the same coverage effective date as their own. Please contact your program coordinator to verify your Early Start eligibility.
Costs and How to Enroll
Students are required to provide proof of dependent status when enrolling their dependents in the plan. For dependent plan enrollment questions, including enrollment deadlines and cost, or to enroll in the dependent plan, please contact USI Insurance Services Customer Service at (800) 853-5899.
NOTE: You must contact WFIS to re-enroll your dependents each quarter. Re-enrollment is NOT automatic for dependents.
The following documents can be accessed through the UC website:
UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP).
- UC SHIP Dependent Medical Benefits Summary
- UC SHIP Dependent Rx Benefits Summary