How It Works
The Tanita Body Composition Analyzer, through bioelectrical impedance, calculates a person's percentage of body fat. High body fat percentage is directly correlated with increased risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. This is NOT recommended for individuals who have a pacemaker or who may be pregnant.
To improve the accuracy of the test, proper protocol must be followed. Please schedule a time when you can adhere to the following recommendations.
- No alcohol 48 hours before the analysis.
- Avoid intense exercise 12 hours before the analysis.
- Avoid eating or drinking (especially caffeine) 4 hours before the analysis.
- Empty your bladder 30 minutes before the analysis.
- Avoid all diuretic medications for 7 days before the analysis (only if possible).
- Schedule the analysis at least 3 hours after waking.
- Pre-menstrual women may retain fluid, which can affect the outcome of the analysis.
The Body Composition Analysis is conducted by a trained peer health educator and requires you to stand barefoot (in light clothing) on a scale. This is a 15-20 minute appointment.
You will receive a computer generated analysis with the following information: body weight, body mass index (BMI), percentage of body fat, calculated basal metabolic rate (BMR), fat mass, fat-free mass, and total body water.
Schedule an Appointment
Appointments for Body Composition Analysis at Student Health Services are available
Weeks 2 - 10 of each quarter on the following days and times.
- Tuesdays at 11:00AM or 11:30AM
- Wednesdays at 10:00AM or 10:30AM
- Thursdays at 2:00PM or 2:30PM
- Fridays at 9:00AM or 9:30AM
Email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. Please use the subject line "Secure: Body Composition Analysis". You will be contacted with a confirmed appointment date and time.
- Student PID number
- Preferred appointment dates and times
Body Composition Analysis at The Zone (PC Plaza) is available on a walk-in basis on Wednesdays from 11:00AM - 11:45AM (Weeks 2 - 10).
You can make an appointment with the Registered Dietitian for any follow-up concerns you may have by calling (858) 822-5926. Read more about BMI here.
NOTE: Registered UCSD students receive one FREE body comp per academic quarter.