Insufficient sleep can negatively impact your GPA, physical and/or mental health. We are challenging students to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night for 3 weeks starting January 20th through February 9th. Last day to sign up is January 20th!
Our hope is by the end of this challenge, you will develop a habit of sleeping 7-9 hours each night and will see the benefits of improved memory, academic performance and overall wellbeing. Sign up and participate in the Sleep Challenge to be entered to win prizes!
What do I have to do?
- Aim to get 7-9 hours of sleep each night from January 20th - February 9th
- Start tracking your sleep on January 20th
- To be entered to win fun prizes, answer a short survey about your sleep at the end of each week for 3 weeks. Whether you get 7-9 hours of sleep each night or not, you can still be entered to win prizes as long as you submit your form
What are the prizes?
- $20.00 VISA gift card
- Sungod Says t-shirts
Some participants from last year said that it was easier to track their sleep by downloading a sleep app. Other participants stated that it was easier to fill out the survey each day. If you prefer this option, download the
survey and enter the information on the link which will be sent to your email at the end of each week of the Sleep Challenge.
Below are the questions you will be asked so you know exactly what to track:
- How many hours you slept each night (Sunday-Saturday)
- How you felt when you woke up in the morning on each day (Sunday-Saturday). The options include: well rested, energetic, alert, tired, groggy, sleepy, other (please specify)
- If you had a midterm on any of the days
- Whether you took a nap during the week and if you did, on how many days did you take a nap?
- If you took a nap, on average how long was your nap? (options include: 19 minutes or less; 20-30 minutes; 31-50 minutes; more than 50 minutes
The last day to sign up is January 20th
Comments from students who participated last year:
"The sleep challenge has allowed me to focus more on academics since I've been trying to take better care of my body. By doing this, I have noticed myself paying more attention in class and assignments."
"Getting my sleep cycle under control helps control my anxiety. The nights I didn't sleep as well, or when I didn't sleep according to my schedule, the following days were harder."
"It's a good way to start getting yourself into the habit of tracking your sleep and even fixing bad habits."
"I felt more calm when I woke up and woke up even before my alarm."
here for helpful sleep tips!
If you would like to meet with a Health Educator to talk about your sleep habits, email:
firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to make an appointment with a mental health provider about your sleep habits, contact Counseling and Psychological Services: 858-534-3755
Learn more about your personal sleep patterns
Take the College Sleep Questionnaire (CSQ):
https://www.thecsq.com/#/ucsd . This is an anonymous 10-minute online assessment that measures nine parameters of sleep and provides practical advice on how to improve sleep.
At the end of the questionnaire, you will receive a tailored report of your results. You can take the report with you if you make an appointment to see a CAPS or SHS medical provider. See a sample of the
Questionnaire results here.
Want to win a Sun God Says t-shirt?
- Take the CSQ and email a snapshot of your certificate of completion to
email@example.com and let us know that you are participating in the contest.
- Get 3 of your friends to take the 10-minute College Sleep Questionnaire (CSQ)!
- Ask them to email
firstname.lastname@example.org with a screenshot of their certificate of completion along with YOUR name.
- We will email you when you reach your goal and provide instructions to pick up your shirt.
Feel free to print this flyer
CSQ flyer and give it to your friends! They can also participate by asking 3 of their friends to take the CSQ and follow the same instructions above.