• SHS
  • CAPS
  • Health Promotions
  • Zone

 Faculty & Staff Resources


Welcome UCSD Faculty and Staff! This section will provide information and resources for you to assist your work with students. This section will provide information on how to identify and assist students in distress, how to contact CAPS for consultation, Red Folder training, and additional resources specifically for campus colleagues.

CAPS does not provide counseling for faculty and staff. If you wish to seek confidential counseling at UCSD and you are a campus faculty or staff employee, please contact the Faculty Staff Assistance Program (FSAP). FSAP serves campus faculty and staff employees only.

*** Note: UC San Diego Health faculty and staff have separate Employee Assistance Program (EAP) contracts aligned with their chosen medical benefits. ***

CAPS Services for Faculty & Staff

Contact Information
858-534-3755, FAX 858-534-2628
Galbraith Hall 190
Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm
Crisis Counseling and Consultations (after hours): 858-534-3755, Option 2

Faculty and staff can contact the Triton Concern Line for consultation or concerns about a student. They can also request a training to help identify and work with distressed students. CAPS staff is also available to provide consultation to your questions regarding student mental health matters, campus resources, and community referrals. In addition, if you have concerns about a student, you can contact our offices for assistance. Due to confidentiality laws, we may not be able to provide specific information about the student if s/he is utilizing our services. During normal business hours, you can call our Central Office at (858) 534-3755. Your call will be forwarded to a psychologist on staff.

Referring to CAPS
If you would like to refer your student to CAPS, please have him or her contact our offices at (858) 534-3755 to make an appointment. If the matter is urgent and your student must be seen immediately, she or he can come to our Urgent Care services at our Central Offices at Galbraith Hall 190.

If you have an urgent matter or an emergency regarding a student during normal business ours (Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm), please call our offices immediately at (858) 534-3755. If you or your student has a life-threatening emergency, please take her/him to the nearest emergency room or call 911. For more information on Emergency and Crisis services at CAPS, please visit our Emergency page.

Triton Concern Line
Formerly the Red Folder project, the Triton Concern Line is for UCSD faculty and staff to seek consultation and training on students of concern. It is a collaborative effort among campus administrators, faculty, and Student Affairs to provide information and training on campus-specific resources and procedures in dealing with distressed students. Please go to the Triton Concern Line on Blink for more information on the program and to request a training. Or call Dr. Monique Crandal , at 858-822-2614 for more information.

Assisting Students in Distress

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is here to support the UCSD community in serving the needs of our students. At times, the UCSD community, including faculty, staff, and student leaders, must provide assistance to students in distress. CAPS has written a handbook to provide you with quick-and-easy access to information on how to assess students in distress, how to provide immediate assistance, and how to refer the student to CAPS.

The pamphlet, Assisting Students in Distress, is a collaborative effort across multiple university counseling centers. We hope this handbook is useful in your efforts to provide support and assistance to students. Additional resources include:

Assisting Students in Distress
Pamphlet for faculty and staff on assisting students in distress or crisis.
Red Folder File
PDF of the valuable Red Folder. This resource includes information, contact information, and instructions on how to consult with campus administrators in working with distressed students or difficult situations.
Download Center
Download CAPS forms, brochures, handouts, flyers, and relaxation audio recordings!
Self-Help Library
Our extensive CAPS Self-Help library.

Triton Concern Line

The Triton Concern Line, formerly the Red Folder Program, is a Student Affairs unite that provides campus faculty and staff with resources to assist/consult on distressed students, or those who are of concern. This unit provides consultation and a 24-hour phone line to report students of concern. Click here to go to their website for more information.

FAQ's & Confidentiality

Much of our work involves providing consultation to the campus community regarding student mental health matters. Below is a list of some common questions we encounter. If you have other questions that we can assist you with, please call us at (858) 534-3755.

How do I refer students to CAPS?
Students can call our offices at (858) 534-3755 to make an appointment. In addition, students can come to our Central Offices at Galbraith Hall 190 (located next to the Revelle Plaza Fountain) to make an appointment. If there is an urgent matter and the student cannot wait for a regular appointment, they can be seen by our Urgent Care psychologist at our Central Office

I am concerned about a student - what should I do?
Fortunately, you have many choices. First, you can contact the student’s college administration (e.g., the Resident Dean at your student’s college) or department and express your concerns. These administrators offer an opportunity to be seen those who interact with him/her the most. These interactions are often not bound to confidentiality restrictions in comparison to those of psychologists – so they may be able to offer you more information about your student’s situation than we legally can.

If your student’s concerns require counseling or psychological assessment, they are often referred to CAPS to meet with a psychologist. If the matter is mental health related, you can encourage your student to make an appointment at CAPS at (858) 534-3755.

If you need urgent consultation, please call our Central Office at (858) 534-3755 and ask to speak with the Urgent Care psychologist. You will receive consultation regarding your student. If it is determined that the student's should come to CAPS immediately, the student can be seen during our Urgent Care hours between 8:00am-4:00pm.

For your reference, you can download our Assisting Distressed Studentspamphlet and Red Folder files.

What are the confidentiality laws as they pertain to my student?
Due to state and federal laws, psychologists cannot share information with others (including faculty and staff) about their counseling with a student without written consent from the student. This is why we may not be able to provide specific information about your student if you call us for consultation. The only situations where we may legally breach confidentiality is if the student is gravely ill and may be in imminent harm to self or others. If you have questions regarding confidentiality, please contact our Central Offices at (858) 534-3755

If you wish to share information with CAPS regarding your student, please call our Central Office at 858-534-3755.

Additional Resources

Self-Help Library
Many self-help offerings for you and your student!

Download Center
Download forms, handbooks, brochures, relaxation audio recordings, and much more.

UCSD Blink
The resource hub for UCSD faculty and staff.

Faculty Staff Assistance Program (FSAP): Confidential counseling for UCSD campus faculty and staff. FSAP serves campus faculty and staff employees. *** Note: UC San Diego Health faculty and staff have separate Employee Assistance contracts aligned with their chosen medical benefits. ***

UCSD StayWell
Wellness resources for UCSD faculty and staff.

Mental Health Links