Consultation with CAPS
A core component of CAPS is providing consultation services for University faculty, staff, as well as student
leaders, groups, and organizations on ways to better the UCSD environment and experience for students.
- Individuals or groups can contact CAPS to receive consultation on how to address concerns or questions
about a student, group,or community.
- In addition, CAPS staff are available for consultation for campus emergencies or crises.
- Through liaisons with campus departments (e.g., the undergraduate Colleges, Residence Life, Athletics,
Recreation, the Cross-Cultural Center, the Women's Center, LGBT Resource Center, International Center ,
Office of Students with Disabilities, and multiple academic departments) we hope to provide education,
support, and expertise in areas that will enhance the experience of students, faculty, staff, and the
community. We welcome collaboration with university groups, resources, and organizations.
- Consultation requests can be initiated by any person or organization affiliated with the University
(e.g., student organizations, academic departments, student affairs divisions, campus resource offices,
student, staff, and faculty).
- Contact CAPS to discuss your needs at (858) 534-3755.
Consultants throughout Campus
A unique feature of CAPS is that we have psychologists housed in each of UCSD's 6 colleges, the Women's
Center, and Student Health Services. This allows easier access for College and university staff to consult with
our staff about mental health issues and needs for students, student support, and availability for crisis
intervention. This also allows greater access for students to seek consultation about mental health matters
with one of the satellite-based psychologists. To view our staff and respective locations on campus, please
visit Our Staff page. The CAPS central and community
based Locations are:
- Central Office:
- Galbraith Hall 190, (858) 534-3755
- Revelle College:
- Provost Administration Building, (858) 534-3493
- Muir College:
- Humanities & Social Science Building (HSS)2126, (858) 534-3587
- Marshall College:
- Marshall Administration Building, (858) 534-4390
- Warren College:
- Computer Science & Engineering Building (CSE), First Floor, (858) 534-4731
- Roosevelt College:
- ERC Administration Building, 3rd Floor, (858) 534-2237
- Sixth College:
- Pepper Canyon Hall, 2nd Floor, (858) 534-1481
- Women's Center:
- Old Student Center, West Building 290, (858) 822-0074
- Student Health Services:
- Group 3 (2nd Floor) and Nurse's Clinic (1st Floor), (858) 534-5571
Concerns About a Student
- If you are concerned about a student (friend, daughter/son, etc.), please contact our Central Office at
858-534-3755, and ask to speak with the Urgent Care counselor for consultation.
- If you wish to escort the student to CAPS for immediate assistance, please come to our Central Office, located at Galbraith Hall 190.
- For life-threatening emergencies, please call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room. The
local emergency rooms near campus include:
- UCSD Thornton Hospital:
9300 Campus Point Drive, La Jolla, CA 92037, 858-657-7000
- 200 W. Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA
Privacy and Confidentiality of Student Information
- In keeping with ethical standards of the mental health profession and the law, all services provided by the
staff of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) are kept confidential.
- If you are calling for consultation regarding a student, CAPS cannot provide information if the student is
being seen (or has been seen) at CAPS without a signed Release of Information Form (ROI) from the student.
- The Release of Information form can be downloaded from our Download
- CAPS offers assistance to students, faculty, and staff in response to any critical incident or disaster
that may impact the psychological well-being of the UCSD community.
- If your college, department, or residence needs immediate assistance in response to a critical incident,
please contact our Central Office at 858-534-3755.
- If the emergency is outside business hours, please call 858-534-3755 and select Option #2 from the voice
menu. You will be able to speak with a counselor.